Talk is Cheap

July 4, 2018. 


Dear Mr. President,

With regard to recent happenings; from the flood that broke our hearts by taking our Dr. Aya to the shocking loss of our Vice President, I have decided to stop talking or asking "what is wrong with us?" Now I'm asking "what can I/we do?" 
I cannot wait for government. The government shouldn't be telling us not to drop the water sachets on the streets. Every time I walk/drive through Lapaz and its environs, I'm ashamed at the filth that sits comfortably on the streets and sidewalks and shocked at the lack of concern shown by the citizens who eke out a living on the streets of Lapaz. 
One Monday, I saw a truck collecting a heap of rubbish from the pavements. And to my shock, just a day later, at the same place, I saw another heap of rubbish! There is absolutely no sense of responsibility. I have come to the sad conclusion that we have no LOVE and RESPECT for our own selves - that is what's wrong with us. 
The other day,  a trotro "mate" asked me, if I slept in the gutter where he had thrown rubbish he had gathered from his trotro. 
You will think that sellers at circle will be the ambassadors of sanitation after the fire and flood disaster of 2015, but no - it would seem we forget easily. 
Talk is cheap so I don't want the what-is-wrong-with-us talk.  I want to take action even if it is starting small from my community. I dream of an Accra that has fresh air and no-plastic waste on the streets. Let's make Accra clean. It is possible.

Yours Sincerely,
Obed Amu.
(Citizen, not a spectator)

Comments

  1. Great work.I wonder what needs to be done. Maybe we should get the military involved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think what needs to done is so herculean.

      Delete
  2. it is pure foolishness that will kill us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May our children be wiser than us..
      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm. Ghana, our Ghana. Where did the black man go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This question! Can we finish answering??

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading. I appreciate it. Kindly check out my new blog post

      Delete
  4. Tell'em OB!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... Thank toy for reading Pearl. Kindly check out my new post.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously disturbing. Great script! I think laws should be created and implemented on people who litter the community! In the States, we have stringent laws that prohibit littering the environment, with as much as $1000 fine or even jail term for anyone caught littering, in certain jurisdictions. GHANA MUST IMPLEMENT SIMILAR LAWS. The keyword being- "implement".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Priscilla. We need these laws... And I don't doubt that our leaders know of these laws you speak of... So what stops them??

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It sure does!! Thanks for reading. Check out my new post and let me know what you think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love Letter to THE PRESIDENT

On the Field.