Review: 'Let's Talk About F69k' redefines stand-up comedy in Ghana!

 By Amu Mawutoh



This review has been sitting in my draft box for close to 10 days since I saw the show, Let's Talk about F69k. And it's not because I didn't like the show, far from that! I did enjoy it so much I was afraid the review would seem like I was paid to say nice things. But I finally decided to get it over with and to hell with what people thought. Besides if something  was done well in my country then of course I am going to shamelessly praise it.


This review will walk you through the entire night in order of performances. Firstly let me comment that by the end of the show the first thought I had was that the arrangement of acts was spot on. Whether it was sheer good luck or not I cannot tell. I didn't ask the producer whether they had prior knowledge of the acts and arranged the performances to ensure audience didn't have an up-down-up-down experience.  Like a very good F69k, sorry I mean flight,  I was impressed with the way the show took us from foreplay to a an unforgettable climax. This arrangement contributed to my renewed hope in Gh comedy shows and its potential to get it right! On account of the sequence of acts, Let's Talk About F69K got it right!

Now here goes my commentary on the shows.

Miller Greg - He was the first comedian to start the show. I guess it could be shaky to be the first to present with all the nerves that comes with standing before a group of people. But is that excuse enough for anyone who wants to be in the showbiz industry? He was barely audible and didn't have enough attention-grabbing energy. I can confidently say he had a good content but his delivery was what needed some medical attention. I do look forward to another act from him to see how better he's become. 

Kojo play was good!  Simple storyline of movies by Africans and that made by non-Africans was what his content was based on. The simplicity worked well for him. And he got laughs from the audience.


Teekay was also hilarious. He has that raw voice that was relatable and that helped him engage with audience! None of that forced accent that I see seeping through a lot of Ghanaians who get the opportunity to address any group of people. He could use that to his advantage. Free advice ;). 

Kabutey My MC!!! Mehnn! He isn’t the Events Mc of the year on paper! His flair and grace! You should have experiencd the music performances he gave us. They were a real class! He had control of the event and seamlessly moderated the show! This was when I started to think we should have paid more. Phenomenal gentleman is what Kabutey My Mc is.  He had these hilarious games he played using the microphone stand whenever he called the next comedic act and that  contributed to the comedic essence of the show.

Comedianwaris presented his act like he was saying ABC! He owned the stage and was seamless in his delivery. You can see his growth and surely my respect for him has gone a level up! One question I’d like to ask Waris, if ever I get to interact with him is if poverty is a huge inspiration for his comedy act? Because I think he draws from that experiences quite well.

Leksydecomic came up next. His act which was based on sex and varied church girls and tribes was both crude and rib-breaking. He understood the assignment. Oh and he knows how to take a bad reaction when the joke doesn’t fly and comes back even better. I dare say he got us falling off our seats! 

More musical performances from Audrey and Nana Sam the Live Vocalist gave us a magical night. Now the thought that, we got more than we paid for started to gain roots in my mind. People paid more for less content in shows that lasted three hours.

Idiot James Brown - This one came to stage with a notebook and when he says he was not born broke like the other comedians, he got me thinking he was about to throw shades till he includes himself! He too took his act with ease! James Brown gave us another meaning of IDIOT as an acronym (unfortunately I can’t recall fully the meaning he gave so I’ll stay off it. If you know it you can put it in the comment box).

Romanus - That he shocked me was an understatement. He came to stage with Samini's ‘My Own’ and did his own rendition! No pun intended. It was a great opening act. He got us laughing and and at the same time feeling bad with his choice of content. It was bold of him to choose these stories. And so that for me showed what a daring artist he is.

OB Amponsah - He is a menace! :) And I say it with every respect! He began by throwing a good shade at types of audience at comedy shows! His use of trending issues was creative and his jokes are relatable! And you see the kind of laugh you keep slapping your thigh as if that will stop the laughter? Yes, OB Amponsah is that comedian who does that to you. He was the 'John the Baptist' to Dr Sas and he did a good job of preparing the way. 

Now to the man of the moment, Dr. Sas. What an electrifying entrance he gave us! If you never met a Dr who can dance, tell them about Dr. Sas! 

On his content, let’s talk about a well-crafted, well composed and with-a-truth-potion musical humour show. We laughed and clapped and were blown away by his wisdom. I have always been in favor of intelligent use of humour and would go for that any day so it was no waste of time being at Let's Talk About F69k.

The show was advertised as a parody of Uncle Ebo White's (a playwright and motivational speaker) book, Let's Talk About Sex. But I realized that the content was more than a parody and coupled with his musical compositions sampled from Highlife songs that wer Dr Sas and the APH band. He told us hilarious stories that had their own music. My favorite song will be Shito Nkoaa! 

He performed an original poetry piece, Etse! A piece that was in every way spectacular! I tell you, Dr.Sas served us a full course meal and we are to our fill. Everyone was satisfied.

Overall, his style of performance has folkloric elements reminiscent of the Ghanaian storytelling style where music accompanies our ananse stories. What we call mboguo

He comments on the socioeconomic life of Ghana and makes some sensible conclusions to why he is politocophobic (fear of politics). I can say every ear at +233 agreed with him as he received applauses. Is it not a wonder how during elections ballot boxes manage to reach every corner of Ghana but development does not have same passion to reach these places? 

Another thing that was music to my ears was that his show was to support mental health in Ghana. We need more artists who are for positive causes. Imagine what world of good he'll do with his influence and platform.

My one reservation was that the show didn’t start early but as soon as it did, they followed timelines judiciously! 

Comedians at Let's Talk About F69k are worth their salt. They made me believe in stand up comedy in Ghana and I know I won’t miss any of their shows if they continue to put in the work. Let’s push this industry by supporting them.

Kudos to the team behind Let's Talk About F69k


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love Letter to THE PRESIDENT

POEM - IF SOMEONE REMEMBERS

Talk is Cheap