Review of Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi


 I chose this book as my January read not knowing what to expect. And very unusual of me I didn't check the blurb or read any synopsis. But as soon as I read the first sentence, I knew I was going to like it. Every good book will capture you with its opening (that is one of my check points for choosing a book).

I should have finished in a week but life gets in the way. However I can do this review because I finally pulled through and finished this yesterday (31/01/22). 

And Homegoing is going into my list of BOOKS I WILL RECOMMEND. It is the kind of book, I had always wanted to read. The kind of book that will make a.koving film of historical essence. 

It is well written chronicling the history of Ghana from the arrival of the Obroni (traders and missionaries) at the coast of Ghana to the events in America where the slaves were taken to the Anglo-Ashanti wars in Ghana. The writer did a good job highlighting major events  while telling the story of the lives of unknown people in history (fictional characters) who had their own struggles (mental health issues, marital problems, barrenness, self-realization, feeling lost) while living in their socio-political times . That’s ingenious to say the least and brilliant writing!! 

Until Yaw’s story I didn’t think there will be any hope in this novel. It had been gloom after gloom. But Yaw’s narrative came with the glimmer of hope so was Majorie's and finally Marcus was home after all these years!!

 If there is one thing this novel shows it’s that we come from many people with their hopes, struggles and dreams. That we belong to someone and we are never alone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love Letter to THE PRESIDENT

POEM - IF SOMEONE REMEMBERS

Talk is Cheap