POEM - IF SOMEONE REMEMBERS

IF SOMEOME REMEMBERS

Dear God,
When I die,
I don’t want to be remembered
Unless it’s for
how loudly I laughed,
how wide my smile was
how deeply I loved
how messy my tears were
unless the thought of me reminds them
of the strength in faith
of the power in authenticity,
of the courage in trust
of the beauty in loss
that being kind isn’t foolishness
that heartbreak isn’t the end
that it’s okay to start over
that nothing in this world is ever ours
and ultimately,
unless my life was proof
that there is God in the broken and in the whole,
in the darkness and light,
when I die,
let me be forgotten,
let my birth month be erased
let the winds not carry my name to my father
like I never breathed the air of this world
like there wasn’t a time when I cried for breastmilk 
let them ask who? If ever my name came up.

Amu Mawutoh,  7/08/2023 

Comments

  1. This is heavy and precious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, just like you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while to digest it all. Beautifully written ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Love Letter to THE PRESIDENT

Talk is Cheap